Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Airing my Dirty Laundry

A recent discussion about laundry came up on an online Mom's group I participate in. One mom asked for tips on how to cut back on the amount of weekly laundry she has for her family. The first response came from a mother of 5 - she said that she gets away with only 2-3 loads of laundry per week! That's for 7 people!! Now, I find that hard to believe (although I have no reason not to trust that she's telling the truth). With our family of 4, I can easily do 2-3 loads of laundry per day, and still not be caught up! Now, of course, I am usually behind, playing catch-up. All it takes is two days in a row of not doing laundry, and all of a sudden there's Mt. Washmore. But to keep up with it all, at the very least I would need to do one load a day, and I'm not sure if that would cut it. And that still brings me to 7 loads per week!

In an effort to cut down on laundry (because really, it's a lot of work for me, and that time could be spent doing something I enjoy, such as reading for myself or reading to my kids - not to mention the price of water and electricity!), I read some follow-up comments and did some brainstorming with Chris. When I stopped and thought about what the bulk of the loads are, it comes down to kid stuff: clothes, bedding, towels, bibs, etc. I wash everything, often. Chris will wear something to the point of it smelling (which takes a while, because he has no odor), and I will re-wear outer clothing (sweatshirts and pants) as long as they don't have any stains or odors. But, with the kids clothes, I wash everything, every time. For some reason I feel like I have to, regardless of the appearance, for them to be clean. So that's where I'm going to start first: re-using bibs until they are actually dirty/gross (which may be only 1 time, or maybe it will be good for a few uses); having Cameron wear his pants and sweatshirts more than once, as long as they aren't stained (which may or may not happen, haha); having both boys wear their pajamas more than just one night, as long as it's not sweaty when they wake up. Simple things that should cut down on at least one load per week. I think we do pretty well with towels, but I got the idea from the posting, that after a few uses (which is typical for us), then to use the towel to wipe down the tub or bathroom floor before laundering. I like that idea.

I already caught myself once today, almost throwing something that for all intents and purposes, was clean. Ian wore his footy pajamas last night and was changed first thing in the morning. I almost threw them in with the laundry, but thought about it, and instead hung it up on his closet to air out (even though it didn't smell or anything). Then, tonight, I was about to change him into those pjs, when I realized that he was wearing comfy clothes and that they would be fine and warm enough to sleep in. So that's another outfit getting used twice before washing. So, baby steps, quite literally. :)

Side note: I also hope to dry more laundry outside this summer. I always try to dry blankets, comforters, bath mats, etc. on the deck if the weather is favorable. I would love to figure out how to rig a clothing line on our back deck (we don't have any trees), so I could also hang clothes. :)

5 comments:

  1. Doing things this way is the ONLY reason I'm not buried under laundry. It helps that I'm a SAHM and Steve works abroad too because I typically don't dirty too many things up and I tend to wear jeans a few times (unless odors, stains). On a regular week I can expect to do about 1-2 loads if its just me and the girls, Steve tends to be more dirty so it increases by about one load. I make the kids hang their stuff back up if they've only had it on for a couple hours and it doesn't have anything on it, too. As far as the clothes line goes, you could always get a couple of 2x4's(maybe need to stablize them against the deck) nail them to both sides of the deck and string it up that way. If it ever stops raining of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you do only 1-2 loads per WEEK for your family? This really amazes me (in general, not at you in particular). I am detail cleaning in the bathrooms this week, so I just did 2 loads for the shower curtains and bath mats. But really, detail cleaning aside, I can't imagine doing less than 5 loads per week.
    I am proud of myself - I took off Cameron's tshirt that he wore yesterday/last night and he said he wanted to wear it again and I sniffed it and looked at it and it didn't smell or have any dirt on it, so I put it back on him. That is huge for me! That pretty much saved 2 shirts (night shirt and tshirt today).

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you need to air dry some items hang them in your bathroom. I often line dry our jeans. They tend to last longer that way. To keep my laundry loads down, I have one basket for the kids and one for Josh and I. And a future tip to keeping your shower curtain clean, a mixture of vinegar, water and lemon juice. One of my favorite websites to frequently use to be green is www.care2.com, which is load with tons of ideas. Cheers to you being green!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! For you it might be a little different because you have an infant and I'm sure once baby number four comes for us my laundry load will increase, especially since we're cloth diapering this time. PJ's are a big one for us, I usually make Kaylee wear her's a couple of times since she goes straight from the shower to pj's to bed. So its kind of pointless to wash them if she's only slept in them. I know you're big on this too, but during the summer, unless it hits like 85 in the house I don't use the AC. We have the energy saver curtains throughout the house now (kinda pricey to start, but let me tell you SO worth the money) so at night when the temp is still hovering around 65-70, the kids usually sleep in their undies! So during the warmer months, I'm not usually washing a whole lot of clothes. When they're outside playing all day everyday I will have them wear their play clothes two days in a row. There's no point in putting clean stuff on when they will just dirty it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brit - I like the air drying in the bathroom idea. Don't know why I never considered that (outside of delicates).
    We do the same with the baskets - one for whites, one for us, one for the boys, and one for towels.

    Courtney - I think it does make a difference with a baby, but I'm already doing better with re-using bibs if they're not gooey/nasty.

    Brittany already knows this about me, but I just need to get over my deal with dirt! I am doing better in general, but I can't stand the thought of re-dressing the boys in something dirty, even if they're about to get dirty again! Maybe if I just think "play clothes" I will be able to deal better. :)

    ReplyDelete